Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Serious Ass Kicking


That is what I was looking for in my ride tonight, and that is exactly what I got. Tim was looking for suggestions on where to ride and I so stupidly mentioned, "Why don't we check out the STA trails?"

"Meh, meh, meh, meh, meh, meh, meh." (That is me imitating my dumb self) So we headed up there and started climbing with no warm-up. My lungs were burning in five minutes and my back tire kept falling off the side of the trail.

I was actually writing this post in my head as I was "riding" up. (I do that a lot now that I have been writing a lot) I say "riding" because I was mostly pushing and falling on my face.

I was thinking, when will riding a bike become fun again? Was it ever fun? Did I get some bike riding memory mixed up in my brain with the time I baked two dozen chocolate chip cookies and ate all of them in one sitting? That was fun. That must be it, because this is miserable.

That picture is not even from last night, but these posts always look better with a picture. And anyway, you probably knew that already because in this picture I AM SMILING. Tim took this picture on last Tuesday's ride.

But, of course, after an hour and forty minutes of miserable riding we found ourselves going back down some awesomely wide, well packed down singletrack and I forgot the whole sordid bit that happened on the way up. I was all, riding a bike is so much fun, this trail is awesome, why don't I do this more often?

I guess that is how we trick ourselves into going back out there.

1 comment:

Tim said...

You had to love those banked turns on the trail back to the parking lot. They were great misery erasers!