Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Alaska Ski for Women (who don't watch football)


I love it. The Alaska Ski for Women is held on Superbowl Sunday every year. It's for those women who don't enjoy spending our Sundays watching middle aged men run in the grass and roll around on each other. For those of us who don't pick a team to cheer for based on proximity of our house to where they practice, or based on the fact that they are the underdog and they deserve it, or based on the fact that when I was little I had one of the players trading cards, or based on the fact that the team they are playing beat the team that practices near our house... you get the idea.

Don't get me wrong I'm not judging these people. I grew up in a football family. I went to all the games. I do actually understand how the sport is played. When my brother and cousins were playing it was actually fun to watch. And if I had the chance to play, I'm sure I would have a blast.

But guess what? I'm not allowed to play. So why the hell would I want to just watch from the sidelines if I don't know anyone on the team? Or from my couch for that matter? I wouldn't. I don't.


Laura on skis



And so I love that the ski for women is held on Superbowl Sunday. For all of those people that say, "What are you doing for the Superbowl?" I could say, I'm skiing with 1,000 women. Then come the blank stares. Or the silence over the phone.

So even though I don't really cross country ski that much, Laura and I went out to ski in the Party Wave to show my support for an event that doesn't care about football.



The event was actually over before the game was over, so I went home and cooked while Laura and Brian watched the game. One thing that is good about the Superbowl is that it seems to be an excuse to eat food like nachos and wings. Now that I get.

No comments: