Friday, February 20, 2009
Red Shirt Lake
Brian, Laura, Niko, Aly and I skied 8 miles out to a cabin on Red Shirt Lake last weekend. It was fun, but not ideal. If you plan on heading out to the Nancy Lakes area in winter anytime soon, there are a few things you should know:
1. I would say if I'm going to ski with a big pack on 8 miles out to a cabin, next time I would stay more than one night. Especially when my heals are bleeding from bad boots.
2. There are way too many snow machines out there. We were looking for a weekend of solitude in the woods and we found exhaust and loud noise.
3. The scenery is pretty with all of the snow, but not spectacular.
4. The cabins on Red Shirt Lake are kind of creepy, with huge windows with no curtains, where at night you can't see out, but people lurking around in the woods can see in.
5. There is nothing in these cabins. No lanterns, stoves, pots, utensils, nothing! Pack in everything you need.
6. My dog is cute.
7. Don't forget your giant salami.