Sunday, December 23, 2007

University Lake


Today was longer than yesterday, and tomorrow will be longer than today. It's great to be on the other side of the darkness. It no longer feels like it is closing in on us, and we can look forward to the longer days of February and March.

My Team in Training practice was supposed to be yesterday at Westchester Lagoon, but they moved it inside again to the Subway track. I didn't go. Our long run was 1 hour 45 minutes this week and, of course, I did not want to do that inside at a track with no windows. The sun is a rarity these days. I spend most of the light hours during the week in an office. So naturally on the weekends I want to try and get out every chance I can to see the sun.

So I took Niko out for an hour and 45 minute run, to University Lake, around a few times and then back home. I think we ran a little over 10 miles with a few stops to drink water and take some pictures. Running at University Lake is great because it's an off leash dog zone. There are anywhere from 30 to 50 dogs running around this park at all times and Niko loves it. I enjoyed it to because it kept my mind off the fact that I was doing the longest run that I have in a few years.

I ran an hour and 45 minutes, which is pretty much my goal time for the race. I feel good about meeting that goal. I've already got the time covered, I have put my base miles in and after New Years it is time to start getting faster. I have already started to add some pickups to my hard runs during the week. I also plan on doing at least one tough "hill" workout a week, to build strength and in case I actually do qualify for Crow Pass.

Two great days in a row! Here are some more ice pictures from yesterday... my stance is lacking in style, but there was a great ledge there for me to stand on and put in a screw!

No comments: