Friday, December 28, 2007

Dark days linger on


A friend of mine said January is the most depressing month in Alaska. You arrive at the solstice and think that it is suddenly going to be light out. But it's not. It is still very dark and doesn't seem to be getting much better. The short days are stressful. Even though the time that I am awake is the same, there is something about the sun setting at 3pm that makes you think the day is over. I have a problem with trying to get too much done. I keep trying to tell myself that "tomorrow is another day", and that I can finish what I was dong tomorrow, or the next day, but I still get stressed. And when the sun sets it feels like, thats it, days over, your out of time.

This week marks the second month of Team in Training finished. Despite the darkness, I feel really good about meeting my goal now. With my 1 hour and 45 minute run on Sunday, I now know I can run for my goal time. Now I need to work on speed.

After Sunday's run, I felt some pain in my knees. Having broken each of my legs over time, I have two bad knees and my doctor told me that arthritis is inevitable. I don't believe that nonsense about running ruining your knees. Except for the pain this week, my knees have never felt stronger. I believe running strengthens the muscles and tendons around your knees and helps to protect them. As long as you don't over do it.

So I took a few days off. We got almost a foot of snow on Christmas so I have been taking Niko out for a ski here and there. It's nice to be able to ski right out my front door at any time. I ski down the street one block and hop onto the lighted Chester Creek Trail.

Fund raising is going well, but I am a little nervous about it. I have about $1100 raised so far, which seems like a lot, but is only 1/4 of my goal. We'll be having a wine tasting and silent auction sometime in January or February so that should help. I hear my company may be setting up a corporate sponsorship as well.

Ok, I'm off to run for an hour. Now that there is more snow, my times have been much slower. I'm trying to not pay attention to distance and just run for time. Seeing how slow I am in the snow is frustrating, but once the snow melts in April, I am going to be super fast!

1 comment:

Jill Homer said...

I can relate about having bad knees. I am having a few new problems as well. It's so frustrating, but at the same time, if you listen to your doomsday doctors, you're going to end up spending you life on a couch. Maybe I will end up with arthritis someday, but I'll never really know if it would have happened regardless of what I did with my knees as a younger person. Might as well have fun now.