Friday, December 28, 2007

"Lay off me, I'm starving!"


These days I cannot eat enough. I have lost weight over the past few weeks, despite the fact that I feel like I am constantly stuffing my face with food. I am usually a fairly healthy eater. I love all fruits and vegetables, salads, whole grains, low-fat dairy, and lean protein. But lately I have been eating pretty bad. It's not because I am being lazy, but because a salad just does not satisfy my screaming appetite.

I guess it's because I've been running a lot now on top of all of the recreational stuff. But I'm not running that much. I think about all of the ultra endurance racers. They must have to eat sooo much to stay fueled for their training. I am a bit of a food addict, so it's kind of fun to be able to eat more. I also don't feel guilt when the inherent sweet tooth rears it's ugly head.

This morning I went out for an hour run and halfway through I felt really weak. I had only eaten one GU before I left. I had to stop and walk after 3 miles and that was even difficult for me. I have done many hour long runs now on only a GU, but I guess that is not going to cut it anymore. My body seems to metabolize food the instant I swallow it.

Later in the afternoon Brian and I took his parents (they are visiting from back East) out for a ski. We skied for about two hours and didn't take any food. Halfway through the ski I started to feel really hungry. I couldn't get my mind off of it. When we finally got home I pushed everyone out of the way and went right to the fridge and cut off a big hunk of cheese and ate it. I stood there with the fridge still open and proceeded to eat cheese hunk after cheese hunk, not even bothering to put it on a cracker, ready to bite off anyones head who made a comment. Lovely.


It reminded me of a Saturday night live skit I saw once. It was back in the days of Chris Farley and David Spade. They were dressed up like teenage girls and sitting at the mall eating french fries. Chris Farley, donning a blond wig and makeup, was stuffing his face with the fries, when David Spade says, "Tiffany, I thought you were on a diet?". Chris Farley pushes him out of the way growling, "Lay off me, I'm starving!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you pregnant?

Julie said...

Nice...no

Jill Homer said...

Oh man. I loved the Gap girls.

"You're so dumb that... when they were handing out brains, you thought they said trains! So then you got on it... er, on a train and went for a RIDE!"

Geoff said...

normally one would take an hour or two to digest a large meal before heading out to do something active. at some point though, as you spend more and more time doing active things you need to head out right after a large meal. it takes a little while for the stomach to get used to this, but once it does it makes all the difference in how you feel an hour or two into a run.