Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Frigid Bits Spectator


I was a spectator for the first time at a Frigid Bits event on Saturday night. We showed up late and I just couldn't decide whether I wanted to race or do the social ride and in the end I decided I didn't want to ride at all.

Since we had skied all day and I did a long ride the day before I enjoyed myself eating hot dogs and cookies around the burn barrel. I felt guilty for not riding at first because I had planned too.

Lately I have been pushing myself to ride even when I don't feel like it, because I am sure there will probably be some point in the 100 miles of the White Mountain Race that I won't feel like riding. I probably should prepare for that.

But does riding when I don't feel like it really train me for that? Sometimes I think it helps. As soon as I get 30 minutes into a ride, I usually feel better and have fun. I like to think of it as training my brain to just stop thinking and to get on the bike and start pedaling. Everything will work out if I just start pedaling.

The problem with that way of training is that you can push yourself too far and then end up hating the sport. Especially someone like me who can't do the same thing over and over again and not get bored.

For that reason, when I'm really tired and uninterested, I'm allowing myself to skip a ride that I had planned. It's all about finding a balance that works, and knowing the difference between needing rest and just being lazy.

And hanging around the burn barrel on a Saturday night you can't go wrong. Especially when they are giving out free stuff. Check out this new Camelbak I won!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You deserved the relaxation (that's why vacations were invented), and look - you got rewarded for it! LOL

Liz