Saturday, December 19, 2009

Time to ski

Sometimes when the blog falls silent it means I have been doing nothing and have nothing to write about. Sometimes I am too lazy to write. Sometimes I am so busy I don't have time.

Fortunately for me, this past week it was the last option. I've been working a lot trying to finish up a project before the holidays, getting ready for my upcoming trip to Pennsylvania, and skiing. I took a few lessons in the last two weeks and am skiing in powder better than I ever have in my life.

This was the view from Cornbiscuit in Turnagain Pass last weekend...



And oh the powder. It snowed all week in South Central Alaska. There is so much snow right now we don't even know what to do. I feel like the old woman who lived in a shoe, except instead of children, it's powder.

I had to put bike training on hold for a few days just to enjoy the snow. It seems a shame to pack all that fluffy goodness down when we've been waiting so long for it to build up.



I've decided to let the weather and conditions dictate what outdoor adventures I have this winter. I always get stressed out because I want to do so many things, but that is just wrong. Winter equals happiness, not stress.

It's much easier like this. If the trails are packed and frozen and it's really cold, it's time to ride the bike. If the ice is in and it's not too cold, let's climb. If it's so nasty and dark out that I don't feel like going outside, well then I'll probably be at the rock gym.

But if there is powder falling every day like little tiny marshmallows floating down from the sky, you can be sure I will be on skis.


1 comment:

Sherrie Soltis said...

that's the beauty of being able to ski, climb and bike...the conditions will be good for one, and not the others...thanks for sharing the pretty pics!