Monday, December 28, 2009

New York City

Everytime I go back east lately, the women in my family take a bus to the city and go see a show, eat good food and drinks, and just generally cause trouble around town.

My sister...


My mom, Nana, and Aunt Carol...



Times Square, which for me is generally a pretty annoying place to be and not really what visiting New York is about. it's like riding the bus in Denali, you have to do it when you visit, but it won't be the best thing you did while you were there. We always tried to get off this street when we ended up there...




We saw the Lion King on Broadway, and I have to say, the production that came to Anchorage on the National Tour was just as good as the original...



The rest of the ladies got back on the bus after dinner and Angie and I took the subway downtown to see Gogol Bordello at Webster Hall. They just so happened to be playing the same night we were going to be there. Sweet!




You could feel the floor bouncing up and down under our feet. Later we went downstairs under the concert to buy a tshirt and realized the whole building was bouncing, the doors and windows were rattling... a little freaky when you are in a building that's over a hundred years old.



Then the subway back to the bus station and the hour and a half ride back to my moms house. But first, we had to have a slice of pizza. Take a good look Anchorage. This is what a piece of pizza is supposed to look like. This slice was bigger than my head. Notice the crispy, yet floppy crust, and that there ARE NOT a thousand toppings piled on top. Just cheese. This is where that crap everyone eats with all those toppings messing up the flavors on it came from. So simple. Salty. Delicious.



We crashed on the bus and arrived back at my mom's house in PA at 2am. Good day! Despite my love of the outdoors and nature, which do not exist in NYC, I love to visit and sometimes wish I lived near a city so that I could experience the culture and food more often. But Alaska is fun in so many other ways, and I'm not ready to give that up yet.

1 comment:

Karen Travels said...

LOL. I lived in Alaska for a year and I tell people that taking the bus in Denali was my favorite experience! maybe because we got lucky and saw about 15 different animals?

I am from NY though, so I know what you mean! :)