Sunday, March 29, 2009

The bears are waking up...


The bears are waking up in Anchorage. A man climbed a tree this week after being chased by a black bear near Campbell Airstrip. I guess it didn't really sink in for me until I was riding alone in the park today on my way to meet up with some friends and I read this sign.




My mood had shifted a bit on the rest of my ride into the Smokejumper trailhead. I was fully aware of the black bear that was roaming around in there looking for food. Good times, good times. Maybe someday I will get used to knowing that bears are always just around the corner, but for now we begin about 7 months of pure unadulterated bearanoia.

When I proposed a Saturday afternoon ride this week, many were skeptical. It's been pretty warm and sloppy this week in Anchorage so I wasn't expecting a very pleasant ride, but had scheduled a 3 hour ride so I thought I'd try.



It turned out to be a perfect day. It was sunny and about 30 degrees. It was snowing lightly all day long, putting a nice fresh coat of snow on top of the frozen hard pack. And after a few miles of nice singletrack, I had forgotten about the bears. Winter riding is not over afterall.

No comments: