Friday, March 6, 2009

Alaska Ice Festival starts today!


Tonight at 6pm is the kick-off party for the first Alaska Ice Climbing festival. There will be dinner, dessert and a slideshow by Sam Johnson about his climbing adventures around the world. Check out the latest schedule.

I have spent a lot my free time, this week and last, making updates to the festival website and monitoring the online store to make sure everything is working correctly. The clinics are filling up. Kick-off party tickets are being sold online and at the door and you can sign up for the competition online. Online registration will close today at 4:00 pm.

It looks like Hunter Creek Canyon is go with the consistently cold temperatures we have had lately.

It's exciting to be a part of the inaugural festival. Tomorrow I'm taking a Basic Rescue course where we will learn how to escape a belay and rescue a leader after a fall. After that I'll go watch the competition. I briefly considered entering it just for fun, but wimped out and am going to just watch. It's an all top roping, all ability levels welcome competition, but there is some mixed climbing involved and I haven't really done much mixed climbing.

Funny I should mention that, because Sunday I'm taking the Mixed Climbing course. There are only two people signed up for this class so far with two instructors, so I think I'm going to get my ass kicked with 8 hours of one on one mixed climbing training. Should be interesting...

If you live in the Anchorage area, you should consider coming out to the slideshow tonight and out to watch the competition in Hunter Creek tomorrow afternoon. There will be a large tent at the entrance to Hunter Creek directing people where to go. There are also still some spots left in the clinics. For some of them, no experience is necessary.

I'll have pictures up from the weekend on Monday!

No comments: