Saturday, April 3, 2010

Relaxin'



I have spent the past two weeks seriously relaxing back in Anchorage. I had planned to get back into the rock gym after a three week break, and to start some running, but I really am lacking motivation right now.

For about a week I thought well I already rode 100 miles this week, so I earned some relaxing time. But after about a week of this I started to get the itch again. I can't really workout just to be in shape, I have to have some goal in mind.

Brian and I went to ski at Alyeska last weekend and stayed in the hotel, which we never do. But we decided to treat ourselves to a luxury weekend (sort of).

I thought skiing would be okay because I could just have a mellow groomer day and slide down the mountain without really using my legs. But as we approached the top of the tram on Saturday morning, it was becoming evident that this day would not be relaxing at all.



Since the south face was windy and the visibility was zero, we ended up on the North Face for the first run. This doesn't work so well for me because I need a few warm up runs on less steep terrain. I watched as Brian elegantly swished back and forth and then followed him by turning and falling and rolling until my legs couldn't hold me up anymore.




We did about three more runs and I decided to head back to the hotel and have a bath. I hung out in the hotel room and read all of my friends Facebook comments about how spring had come early to Anchorage. It was still winter in Girdwood though. These fat flakes fell from Saturday morning until we left on Sunday and continued throughout the week.



My legs were not fully recovered from the race and they still are not today, two weeks later, so I'm giving it some more time. I've started doing short 20 minute runs, but mostly have just been walking and hiking slow with Niko as we watch the trash and gravel melt out in Anchorage.

This is an ugly time of year in Anchorage, so we spend a lot of time socializing with friends and making plans for summer. Ahh, summer. I think I'm ready now.

No comments: