Monday, September 28, 2009

Wrapping up hiking week

Saturday morning we woke up to pouring rain and after breakfast I plopped myself down on the couch with a list of indoor things I wanted to get done. The main thing I wanted to do was to go through all of my photos and pick out ones to frame and hang in our house. What's the point of taking all of these beautiful pictures of Alaska if we never look at them?

But Jill and Ben called around noon and asked me to climb the Dome with them. Since I ran out of time on Wednesday when I was up there and didn't get to the top, they talked me into it, even though it was raining pretty hard.

This is Jill and Ben. They are fast and fun hikers.



As soon as we started hiking it cleared up magically.



We were surprised at how low the snowline was already. The sun felt hot though so it almost seemed like spring when all of the snow melts.

Niko was happy to be in the snow again.



At the top it was winter. It was cold and windy. We put on our hats and gloves and didn't stay long.






But long enough to snap some photos of the fabulous light that was seeping through the clouds.



The contrast between the yellow trees and the stark white snow was amazing.



We ran down, because Jill had to be back in town by 5pm. It felt good to run in the mountains again.



Sunday was a day of rest. It was the first time I felt really sore in about a month. That's my gauge for whether I'm doing enough. If I'm not feeling sore I feel guilty.

Moab is only 5 days away! After reading through some of the ride descriptions that are being proposed by Tim and Brian, I have to admit I'm a little nervous about riding in Moab. Phrases like "advanced technical downhill", "five foot drop offs", "skirting cliff edges" and "crash, crash, rocks, crash, hurt!, pain! crash! blood!" have been running through my head at night when I sleep.

Brian reassured me that most of the rides they have planned are not super technical, but I suppose I would like to try some of the really hard stuff, because that's what riding in Moab is supposed to be about, right? And it will make the most technical trail in Alaska (not many of these) feel really easy when we get back. So I got that going for me.

No comments: