Tuesday, July 7, 2009

On the Road Again


My legs are finally feeling fresh again after a week of recovery riding, hiking, hot tubs and stretching. Since I have had visitors lately and I have been starving ever since the 24 hour race, my food intake has been pretty high.

I don't think I have ever eaten so much red meat in one week (and cookies). I have been craving burgers and steak. I even ate a burger for breakfast one day. Fish just wasn't going to cut it. My body needs the protein and iron after the 12 hour race.

Tonight I went out for an easy ride on the Powerline Trail. Funny how those hills don't even seem like hills anymore. Even the "big one" back up to the parking lot. I was nowhere near granny gear, and didn't even stop at the top of the hill. Okay so maybe I am stronger.

Saturday is another big race for me - the Fireweed 100. Originally I was going to do the 200 as a relay, but my teammate dropped out.

It's probably better that way. I will get about six hours of continuous riding in. I need time in the saddle. And it will be cool to do my first Century! Six hours is a rough estimate, actually I have no idea how long it will take.

Here is the road bike I'll be riding, but with a shorter stem. Thanks Tony!



I feel like I did some great mental training in the 12 hours of Matanuska. I was able to train my brain to stop thinking about the finish line and just enjoy what I was doing in each moment. It really worked and got rid of some of the anxiety about being able to finish. If I think, the only thing I need to do right now is pedal, the miles just fly by.

My mom arrives tomorrow afternoon, so it will be a challenge to stay on my training schedule next week. I'll be doing a bit of recovering from the Fireweed while we spend some time down in Seward early in the week, then back to Soggy training.

No comments: