Sunday, May 4, 2008

Quick update from Vancouver

My battery is about to die, but wanted to post a quick update on the Team in Training Race. This morning I ran the BMO Vancouver Half Marathon! (we won't talk about my time :) Vancouver is beautiful and the Team in Training experience has been awesome.

After waking up with excruciating back pain on Thursday night, I thought that I wouldn't be able to race. But my chiropractor fixed it somewhat and I decided to run anyway. Long story short, I had to do some serious walking/limping about halfway through the race. Then the pain went away and I ran fast to the finish line for the last 4 miles.

I am now absolutely sure that I will not be running the Crow Pass Crossing this year. I am just not fast enough... yet. I know my back slowed me down a lot, I probably lost 20 minutes because of it, but I am over 40 minutes off of the qualifying time for Crow Pass, so I am not going to push it.

Instead I have signed up for the Lost Lake Run at the end of the summer. Lost Lake is a 15.75 mile trail run over some of the most beautiful terrain in South Central Alaska. I have 4 months to train on the trails. I think this is a more attainable goal. But next year, Crow Pass!

It took me two and a half years to do it, but I am finally hooked on running again since my broken leg sidelined me for a year. I am already mapping out my training plan for the summer and cannot wait to recover from this race to do some of the shorter races around Anchorage. Hopefully the snow will be gone from town when I get back.

More later! Thanks again to everyone that sponsored me! I have a party to go to!

No comments: