Friday, January 25, 2008

To the Beach!

Update: I am an idiot. Maui does not contain the highest point in the state, so ignore my comment below. In my defense I was tired when I wrote this.

I am suffering from severe sleep deprivation right now. I haven't really gotten a full nights sleep in two weeks. I have a ton of things to do to get ready for my trip to Hawaii. Brian and I leave Saturday afternoon.

I have not been to the beach in four years. Unless of course you count the mud flats of the Cook Inlet. I do not. On top of that, this is the first real vacation Brian and I will take together. Unless of course you count skiing 40 miles in minus 15 degrees, carrying a 50 pound pack, eating dehydrated food, not showering for a week, using the snow as a restroom, and sleeping in an 8x10 foot hut with 8 people. I, of course, do not.

Needless to say I am looking forward to Hawaii. Out of the 8 days that we will spend there I think we have alloted half of them for lying around on the beach and doing nothing. I plan on having a surf board at my side for those moments when I'm feeling like I've been to lazy. I'll ride a few waves and then back to my lounge chair, book and frosty beverage.

Actually there is a lot we want to see in Hawaii so I could see a few of the beach days getting bagged. Maui boasts the highest point in the state, so maybe we'll climb a peak? Um, I think you can actually drive up to the top. Perfect. Maui has a ton of good mountain biking, hiking, snorkeling, kayaking, and my friend that lives there knows a surf instructor, so this might not be that relaxing after all! We shall see what inspires us when we get there.

I also have not run in a week in a half. I started to develop what I think is shin splints in my left leg and do not want to mess around with that. It helped that it happened during my vacation so that I didn't feel too guilty about skipping runs, but now I feel a little out of shape and a little extra squishy around the middle. Now that my shin is feeling better, Hawaii will be a great place to start up my running routine again. The hard part will be coming back to Alaska to train through the rest of the winter.

No comments: