Monday, November 12, 2007

Sponser Me! - Two big challenges

So last week I joined Team in Training. I committed to run the BMO Vancouver Half Marathon in May, and raise $4500 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I have to admit, I am a little bit nervous about the fundraising. Last time I entered a Team in Training race, I had to raise $2200. I didn't really have a problem. I guess I am just freaking out a bit. That's the first challenge.

I will also be using this race as my Crow Pass Crossing qualifying race, which means I need to run it sub 1:45. That is the second challenge. If you've read any of my previous posts about running, you know that I'm pretty slow when it comes to endurance races. But I figured out that is because I really haven't pushed myself to run faster. Until now. I've been running a lot lately, doing speed work and tempo runs, hill runs, etc.

Last Saturday was our first team practice. We ran for an hour and I held about a 9:30 minute pace, which is fine for the long run. From what I have read the long run, should be run at about 1 to 1:30 minutes slower than my goal pace (8:00). That is because the long run is used to build endurance, not speed.

Alright, enough about paces. I'm running the race in memory of my dad, who died of Acute Myelogenous Leukemia in 1998, when I was 22. But the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society has raised so much money for research in the past 10 years that many people with leukemia and other blood cancers are now living in remission. Another sad fact is that Leukemia is genetic and it's very possible that I or someone else in my family might contract the disease in the future. I'd like to do what I can to help find a cure.

So I'm asking anyone who is reading this to help me reach my first goal. You can sponsor me by going to my Team in Training Website. Any amount is greatly appreciated! Thank you! I put a link to the site on the right side of my blog as well, if you'd like to come back and make a donation in the future. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress in fundraising and running!

No comments: