Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Tuesday night races

Courtesy of http://www.muni.org/parks/tuesday.cfm

I don't have much time to write because I'm packing right now, but tonight I ran my second "Tuesday Night Race". These are races of varying distance in and around Anchorage, where the course is not revealed (including the distance) until about 3 seconds before the start. Some woman shouts the rules and the course through a bull horn, "Around Mise's loop, up into the valley, down the coast..". Most people can't hear her and have no idea what she is talking about. So about 300 people start running, shoulder to shoulder, following pink and yellow tape, not really sure where the course will go next. Both courses have been much fun and very hilly.

I've started to think about running the Mayor's Midnight Sun Marathon in Anchorage next year, so I'm working on my base endurance now. I wish I would have run Cross Country when I was younger, except for two things.. I hated running and I had this funky knee that blew up like a balloon when I ran. Oh, yeah, and I hated running. The truth is I never gave it a chance, I felt my lungs burning and my legs weighing me down and just figured I was not an endurance athlete. So that's that. Back to packing.

No comments: