Sunday, September 9, 2007

Fall is here


All of the signs of fall revealed themselves to me today. It's been raining all weekend and Brian and I took the day off yesterday to lie around the house and watch movies. (That had nothing to do with the fact that we were out till 2am the night before, I swear.) I finally noticed a significant amount of leaves changing on the trees today. It was 55 degrees out when I left the house to go for a run on the Powerline Trial. The sun did not rise until after 7am and it's about to set at 8:30 pm.

Autumn doesn't last long in Anchorage, about a month. Which is why most people who live here would tell you we have two seasons. Winter and Summer. We actually do have fall, but it happens so fast that if you blink you might miss it. Fall is a time when the excitement of winter builds. Stories about summer trips gradually fade and talk around town turns to winter. I've already had conversations about Friday night 5 dollar skiing at Alyeska, nordic skiing around town, going to Valdez (and Ouray, wohoo!) to ice climb, and (new for me this year) winter biking in the Frigid Bits races around Anchorage.

Despite the heavy rain, I drove up to the Glen Alps trailhead today and ran 5 miles out and back on the Powerline trail. I love to run in the rain. I have a problem of overheating when I run, so the rain is a welcome coolant. The fall colors were out in abundance and the tourists have all gone home for the summer, so it was quiet and peaceful.

No comments: