Sunday, February 24, 2008

The day and night of 1000 dumplings


Without warning, my back pain came back in full force Saturday morning when I woke up. I had to skip the race. I was having a hard time just standing. I don't really have anything else to say about it, except, this sucks. It's kind of strange the way it keeps coming and going. Today I feel fine, but I was not going to push it.

I found out yesterday that I can sign up for Crow Pass as long as the race is not full, even up to a few days before the race. So my backup plan of running the Mayor's half in June, might work. If I don't qualify in May (it's not looking good at this point), then I can train for another month and a half for Mayors and try to get faster.

But for now, it's really out of my control. My back will dictate when I can get back to training, and when I do I will have to be careful about not pushing too hard.

On the lighter side of things... Last night Kim had a Vietnamese New Year, Night of 1000 dumplings, Old time music party at her cabin. I had agreed to be one of her sous chefs and to help her make 1000 dumplings. I really had no idea what it would take to make 1000 dumplings with 4 people in one day. I arrived at her cabin at 11am to chaos. She handed me a glass of sake and put me to work.



We chopped, mixed, folded and steamed for 8 hours straight. By the time we were done cooking, myself and the other two sous chefs, Heather and Ken, were a bit tired, bitter, and covered in pork dumpling juice. But it was nothing that a few beers and a few dozen Old time musicians couldn't cure.

I would guess about 100 guests came and went throughout the night and the festivities extended into the wee hours of the morning. All in all I have to say it was one of the best parties I have been to in Alaska. They do know how to party here!

No comments: