Friday, April 17, 2009

I've got a lot of climbing to do...



Yesterday I did my first "Force" workout. That is where you put your bike into a high gear and mash on the pedals up a series of hills. Sounds awful right? Actually, it felt amazing.

Once I was able to think about climbing a hill as part of a workout, it didn't seem to hurt as much. I knew that my goal was to work really hard for 4-5 minutes and then I would get a break. This worked out really well. It made me push harder on the hills, and really recover during my rest.

And this has put a whole new outlook on climbing hills for me. If I see each hill as a chance to get stronger, and not as a force of gravity that is trying to push me down, down, down into the shadows of self doubt, shouting at me to quit and saying things like, "What? You think you're a mountain biker? Ha! I laugh at you.", then I stand a chance of actually getting through this training and finishing this race.

So I'm taking on hills on my bike, like I take on hills in my boots when I'm training for Mount Marathon. Which by the way, the lottery results came out yesterday and of the three people I recruited to do the race with me, none of them got in. But that is another story for another day. Right now I'm really enjoying climbing on my bike. I never thought I would be able to say that.

No comments: