Friday, May 8, 2009

Spring Peak Bagging

Every year around this time we start lugging our fat winter asses up the peaks along the Turnagain Arm south of Anchorage. These hikes climb straight up from the highway offering some of the best views of the cook inlet and back into the depths of the Chugach.



It's bittersweet as we suck air and realize how out of hiking shape we have become. Although every year we start out just a little bit stronger than the last. Can you believe we have now lived in Alaska for 4 years? We've survived 4 winters and are about to enjoy our 5th summer. Philadelphia has become a distant memory.

It's great to get out in the sunshine and I think anyone who was here last summer has a little bit of anxiety about when the nice weather is going to end. Sometimes I fear that at any moment we could get socked in for days, weeks or months, so I've been getting out every day biking, hiking or running.

Rainbow Peak...



Bird Ridge...



Brian attempted Indianhouse again last Saturday with some hiking friends of ours, I was sore so I missed this one...



Peak bagging is Niko's second favorite outdoor activity...





Today I plan on an easy paced long ride around the paved trails of Anchorage. Tomorrow we are heading up South Suicide Peak. I haven't done this one before, but I don't think it's as scary as it sounds.

Exercise becomes addicting at this time of year. Seeing the sun shining through the window right now I feel bad about being on the laptop. Gotta go!

No comments: