Monday, July 30, 2007

It's just water...

I knew it was raining when I woke up this morning, but thought, it never rains hard in Anchorage, right? So I strapped on my helmet and my new biking shoes and got on my bike and took off. As soon as I got to the Chester Creek Trail to start my morning commute, it started pouring. I mean... really pouring. I was soaked within 30 seconds. I was uncomfortable for awhile, but thought, if I'm going to ride through the winter, I can't let a little water send me screaming back to the comforts of my Jeep.

Water. That's all that rain is. I know, this is not a profound statement. But why are we conditioned to stay inside when it rains, run to our cars, cover our heads or avoid the outdoors all together? I don't know how many times I've heard people say, I can't go (fill in the blank) today, it's raining. Adults are conditioned to believe that getting wet, outside of a shower or pool, is not acceptable. Why is this?

So I kept riding. And because I'm conditioned to think rain is unpleasant as well, I started thinking, "This is miserable... and I'm wet. ...Wah." But then I just relaxed and realized, it isn't cold out and I was wet and that was fine. I enjoyed the rest of my ride and showed up at work looking like I had ridden my bike through a lake. And I was completely comfortable. And I survived. So I'm rebelling against society and making a point to go outside and play the next time it rains... whose with me?

No comments: